Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Dobler on Consumerism




Photo from Pop Candy blog


"I don't want to sell anything, buy anything, or process anything as a career. I don't want to sell anything bought or processed, or buy anything sold or processed, or process anything sold, bought, or processed, or repair anything sold, bought, or processed. You know, as a career, I don't want to do that." - Lloyd Dobler


One of the other blogs I read* had a post about the 20th anniversary of Say Anything which involved a "mobler" (mob of Lloyd Dobblers) in NYC this week. Lloyd Dobler is credited with one of the best anti-stuff quotes of all time (at least in an 80's movie).


Thanks Lloyd for reminding me of where my anti-consumerism beliefs came from. I was only 14 when he said this and I still feel like he's talking for me. I often wonder where all my influences came together, but I know this great 80's movie stuck with me through good and bad.


I especially hate the idea of processed things. Processed foods and processed plastics are just not the answer that our big companies would like us to believe they are. I'm sure Lloyd had never even heard of genetically modified corn or cotton, but he's against it and I'm right there with him.


As far as selling things, I would update that to say "I don't want to sell anything that I didn't make or that was made unfairly."


Thanks Lloyd, now let's get a little Peter Gabriel music on for the trip down memory lane...


-Charles






*Steve Spears "Stuck in the 80's Blog"

No comments:

Post a Comment